Wednesday 24 June 2009

Brands Hatch Race 2

So, Race 2!

Not a perfect start - the car was rolling (grid is on the downhill at Brands) and as a result of going onto the footbrake to stop this, did not get the revs right for the start - so a poor reaction time & lots of wheelspin!! This cost me one place, as the Raw Striker Challenge car (driven by Daniel Fergusan) came flying past...Into Paddock I went, with cars three-a-breast in front - Daniel on the outside, Guy in the middle and Stephen Ward on the inside, following closely by me on the outside with Ian Kempson on the inside! My god, busy bend!!! Just reaching the apex, I saw that Mark Alexander Williams had something of a tank slapper...and finally span into the infield, this meant most of us slowed, and then charged for the race to Druids (hairpin)...I exited Druids in 7th, so made up 3places....good stuff! Cars were three-a-breats out of Graham Hill bend, good god, heart stopper!! Going down the start-finish straight, I heard the all too familiar sound of a V8 thumping up behind me
, zoom went Mathew as his power advantage showed it's merit!






I could see that Steve Taylor and Guy Hussey were pulling a gap from the following pack of 5cars that were jostled for position at every bend, Steve Bell snuck through on the exit of Graham Hill and gained 7th relagating me to 8th place - for now. Despite numerous changes to improve the situation, I was still struggling to get the power down out of Clearways, and a gap clearly opened up on each lap. However, diving late onto the brakes into Paddock, I was able to catch up lost time. Really close, and fair racing for a few laps. I had a look up the inside of Steve Bell on the way into Clearways, but it wasn't quite on - not on this lap anyway. Steve Bell was able to get past Andrew Ward on the way up to Druids, Andrew back past again into Graham Hill, then Steve back past again on the exit - tight stuff. I then got past Andrew on the run into Druids
, and should have had a go with Steve too, but didn't - so made up a place. Then Andrew back past into Graham Hill, whilst just in front and at the same time Steve got past Mathew!!!!! This was turning into some battle. Next lap, Steve made an attempt up the inside of Mathew on the way into Graham Hill which didn't stick and cost him speed, I hooked up behind Mathew and slungshot past Andrew. So, into 7th - I think. Andrew got through on entry to Graham Hill, but I got back past on the exit. Spot the trend, will it ever end????
It all got a little interesting on the 2nd from last lap, Daniel got past Andrew on the entry to Graham Hill but caused them both to slow as a result, with Mathew following hot on their heals and me just behind. Both Mathew and I got past Andrew, and Mathew wass able to just sneak through the inside of Surtees to get past Daniel, but was carrying a lot of speed through the bend and slid round the entry of Surtees - meaning that he was too fast and offline, I thought that Mathew had recovered it and was all set for a fast line through Clearways when he missed his apex and started a monster and unfortunately unrecoverable slide that took him into the gravel trap. Daniel had slowed, and here was my golden opportunity - up the inside I went full power, charging through to 5th place and with a real run on both Daniel and Andrew who were now both behind. Whist I could see Steve Bell in my sights, there was insufficient to catch him. I settled in to 98% race speed and brought the car home safe and sound and in 5th place overall, 4th in class - a great result given a starting position of 10th place and the tough competition.
The car went very well, still room for some improvements, but excellent given the number of bits that have been off on the car, repaired, panel beaten, etc, etc it's a miracle that it even started!!!

Great job by everyone that came, and actually to all the other "Kits" drivers, really great driving standards from all.

Roll on Cadwell - aka the mini Nurburgring.

No comments: